While caring about our skin and health, we often forget one important thing– our hair. From curly, fine, straight, or thick, hair comes in so many unique variations.
We all want to make our locks look shiny, but what if we told you the solution for that is hiding in your kitchen?
Rice water is a simple, easy mix that makes your hair shinier than ever and we’re bringing you all the tips&tricks on how to make it, and, most importantly, what benefits it can have for your hair. So let’s dive right in!
What is rice water for hair?
The explanation is fairly simple, it’s the residual water that’s left after mixing water with rice.
It’s been used for ages and dates back to ancient Japan when it was used to strengthen the hair and give it an amazing shine. No wonder it’s still one of the staples in every Japanese household.
Benefits of rice water for hair
It is high in vitamins, especially vitamins B and C, and has a high content of potassium, iodine, magnesium, zinc, selenium, manganese, and fiber.
Due to its high antioxidant content, it helps to detox your scalp, preventing hair loss and other hair conditions.
Rice water has numerous benefits including:
- Removing dandruff
- Strengthening your hair
- Stimulating growth
- Providing vitality
and significantly improving appearance.
How to make rice water for hair
Making rice water is fairly simple and you already have all the ingredients in your kitchen.
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup rice
- 1-2 cups water
- Rinse your rice under running water to remove any dirt and impurities.
- Put it in a bowl with 1-2 cups of water.
- Simmer the rice until the water becomes cloudy and leave covered for 30 minutes.
- Simmer the rice once more and strain.
- Pour the rice water into an old shampoo bottle for easy use in the shower and let it sit for 12-20 hours at room temperature.
- Place in the refrigerator or use immediately. Rice water can stay in your fridge for up to a week, or until it develops an unpleasant smell!
How to use rice water
Rice water can be used both as a conditioner and as a hair rinse to reap the benefits. It’s recommended to use it 1-2 times a week, not often as it can dry out the scalp with frequent use.
Here’s how to use it:
- Take your bottled rice water in the shower.
- Wash your hair with your regular shampoo.
- Apply the rice water or damp hair, focusing on the scalp.
- Massage it into your scalp and leave for 5-10 minutes.
- Rinse your hair and style as usual.
- Feel your best with your amazing shiny hair!
Rice water has amazing benefits for all hair types. It’s been used for centuries because of its strengthening properties and can regenerate your hair with consistent use. It’s easily made by combining rice and water following these instructions and can make your hair feel shinier, thicker, and livelier.