Breakfast is considered the most important meal because it gives you energy for the rest of the day and sets up your metabolism.
Still, a lot of people skip it because they’re rushing in the morning to get to work so they end up just drinking coffee or grabbing a chocolate bar, or croissant instead. Some are just so not used to eating breakfast anymore, that they feel nauseous even thinking of food the first thing in the morning.
Luckily, if you fall into that particular category, it’s comforting to know that eating breakfast is a habit you can create with just a little bit of continuous practice.
Through the recipes and advice, we want to show you that eating a healthy breakfast can be fast and easy. All it takes is a little bit of organization and guidance on how to prepare a healthy snack.
At Bellabeat, we always encourage you to take care of your health and think of healthy eating as a part of your lifestyle — not some rigorous diet or any kind of restriction.
It’s ok to eat a chocolate bar or have a glass of wine every now and again! Living a healthy lifestyle is a part of who you are and it’s important to find what works best for you as an individual and find the balance in everything you do.
In this blog post, we’ll share two delicious recipes with you: bircher muesli and chocolate granola clusters!
Did you know?
Bircher muesli is named after Dr. Maximilian Bircher – Benner who invented this meal for his patients in Zurich in the 1890s because he believed that food could be used to keep the body healthy and not just satisfy hunger. Find the recipe below and enjoy your meal!
Bircher Muesli Recipe
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 3 tablespoons granola
- 1/4 cup of almond milk
- Fruits, seeds, etc. to mix in
- Mix the rolled oats, coconut water, yogurt, vanilla, cinnamon, and honey in an airtight container.
- Add more honey if you like it sweeter.
- Leave it overnight in the fridge.
- Take your muesli mix and mix through some granola and chopped fruits.
- Top it off with some almond milk.
Chocolate Granola Clusters
- 3 cups rolled oats(not quick or instant)
- 1/4 cup of puffed rice
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- A sprinkle of cinnamon
- A small pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Optional additional add-ins like desiccated coconut, nuts, seeds, or dried fruit
- Preheat the oven to 170C. Line baking tray with baking paper. Set aside.
- Pour oats and puffed rice into a large bowl, set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, mix sunflower oil, cocoa powder, and dark brown sugar until combined.
- Add honey, salt, and cinnamon and mix until paste forms. Pour over oats and puffed rice. Mix until all oats and puffed rice are soft and moist.
- Pour the oat mixture over the baking paper and spread them out.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stirring and flipping every 10 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips while the granola is still warm. Stir. The chocolate chips will melt, creating larger clusters of granola.
- Once cooled, add in dried cranberries, coconut, nuts, and any additional add-ins you prefer.